Wednesday, October 10, 2007

One step closer to coming home







During our daily call to our kiddos at home, we noticed that we had a missed call from yesterday. It was our Holt guide and since we couldn't retrieve the voicemail we called him back. It turns out we received our initial visa approval yesterday. He indicated that we will go get her passport tomorrow, get her physical on Friday and have our exit interview on Monday. If that is the case, we should get final approval next Tuesday and be able to head home on Wednesday. We asked if there is anyway we can speed things up and get her passport and physical done tommorrow and have our exit interview Friday and speed things up by a day. He said he would try but didn't get back to us. We will continue to push on him tomorrow. I think with him, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. And if it means we can get home even a day earlier, we can be squeaky!



We had a pretty quiet day other than that. We went for a long walk at lunch time today and witnessed the Vietnam school lunch program up close and personal. The children are let out at noon and there are dozens of street venders lined up outside the school gates with makeshift, sidewalk kitchens, offering anything from fried duck to icecream and of course the staple of the vietnamese diet Pho. (A broth based rice noodle soup with a variety of meats.)
The picture of Dave and Sarah represents Dave's version of an English lesson. Something about a booger I think. If only he could use his forces for good. By the way, Dave says I should give his two sense worth. He say he is really tired of Vietnam, Troung our Holt guide is an idiot, and he is really ready to come home. (editted for blog purposes ) I think he's just mad cause we had a jerk for a cab driver for going to dinner that drove us around in circles until our cab ride totalled 100,000.00 dong. Okay, that is really only a little more that $6.00 US. But is was the principal of the matter.
The highlight of our day was on the cab ride back to the hotel. Our sweet girl serronaded us with a beautiful song in vietnamse. We so wished we knew what she was singing about and wished we had the video camera with us to record her beautiful song. Maybe we will get an encore tomorrow.



2 comments:

Lori said...

Hi Sandy
It all sounds SOOO familiar. I tried to 'get in touch' with you viam an old blog because for some reason I couldnt leave a comment to your most recent ones. So, I'm hoping you are reading these replies. My husband, daughter and I were there in June/July to pick up our new daughter. We stayed at the same hotel. Got taken by the same "ride" you did by a cab driver. I wish you would have read my blogs when we there. I dont think you were on the Holt site at that point. ANyway....go to a restaurant called Hoa Sua. Look it up on the web it will give you the address. I cant remember it. Its a cooking school for disadvantaged youth. The food is awesome and very cheap.
Hope you get to come home early. I know what it feels like to have your fate in the hands of someone else. We got to come home 5 days early and it was so wonderful. Good luck. We'll be following along.

Ladyminime said...

Hello,
This is the first time I have checked and you are almost ready to come home! It seems like we just did the adoption class. Caleb and I read the whole blog today and I must say I still can't make it through one of these sites without crying. You are doing a great job keeping up on the website. I love the pictures. Congratulations on...everything. It sounds like yet again god made the perfect match. We have you in our prayers for a safe speedy return.
Heather & Caleb Bingham